How can we improve WNYC.org or our apps?

Adjust the order in which BL segments are uploaded as podcasts

I enjoy listening to The Brian Lehrer Show as a podcast, through the Apple Store and Apple Podcasts app. However, I have noticed a small issue with the order in which segments are presented. Apple gives you two options when viewing "episodes" of a podcast: oldest on top, or newest on top. Because each segment is uploaded as an "episode," the last segment of the day's show is displayed on top when viewing "newest first." Because Apple's Podcasts app plays "episodes" in a top-down order continuously, the show is in effect presented in reverse order. If I adjust my settings to oldest on top, the most recent show's segments is far to the bottom of the list of "episodes" to add.

So, my suggestion is this: when uploading the BL segments to Apple, upload them in reverse order. When the first segment is uploaded last, it is effectively the "newest" episode, and the segments would be downloaded and played in the order they were presented on air.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan NaruRyan Naru shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Eric KamanderEric Kamander shared a merged idea: More consistent podcasts, including Morning Edition  ·   · 

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric KamanderEric Kamander commented  · 

I agree with this, and have suggested this in the past via email. It is controlled by the time in the podcast metadata. Furthermore, since the times are not consistent, a list of downloaded podcast episodes containing Brian Lehrer and Leonard Lopate episodes will often be jumbled.

Also, why doesn't morning edition have a podcast?

Feedback and Knowledge Base